Skip to main content

Poverty Is A Choice

Believe it or not, you can choose to be poor!

Years ago, I was jobless for months. My savings were dropping. I did some volunteer jobs, only walking to and from the office every day to save the little money I had for the day. At lunch, I would eat only two pieces of banana. Depressed, I asked God why I was experiencing poverty. Was that His way of favoring me? But, what is poverty anyway? Pointing at the beggars on the sidewalk of Makati Avenue, I asked, "Is that poverty?" I had no answer but there's only one way to find out. Be one of them.

Leaving all things behind except for the clothes I was wearing and a few bucks, I left home and spent the night in a park together with all sorts of homeless people. I couldn't sleep the way the homeless could. I had fear in my mind that someone might just strip me naked and steal everything I had, or find myself in the morning with a knife on my chest. Thinking that my life was already a throw-away, I went to places where men cruised for flesh trade. That idea in my mind could save me from my misery. I was disappointed! Nothing seemed to be favoring my plan.

Early morning, I decided to spend the rest of my life up in the boondocks. I arrived at an island late in the morning, hungry. Two pieces of bread and a drink satisfied my craving. I found an old and dusty chapel. I decided to stay there thinking that it could be my home. In one of the pews, I slept for I thought long hours, but time seemed so lazy my head was aching impatiently. It was serendipitous that I found myself inside a chapel. It reminded me to pray. Perhaps, God would grant me grace to understand what was going on in my life. For hours, I reflected and prayed. A few days from then, what I was wearing would already stink. Days after days, I would have sold my shoes and my watch and everything I was wearing and carrying, walking barefooted, begging from tourists in the island. How long would I be able to endure that kind of life?

Under the scorching heat, I walked towards the mountains. Eyes of local folks were all at me. Signs on trees were painted with red "NPA". Thoughts crossed my mind that at anytime I could be held a slave, then killed by the rebels; or I could be one of them. My tummy started to alarm - a warning that a call of nature would soon erupt. With a new lifestyle, I should start learning how to build a make-shift toilet the way dogs and cats do it.

A passenger jeepney passed along the road, spraying dust in the air. It stopped. The driver asked if I wanted I ride. I sat at the rear end. In front of me was a young man who after a while started talking to me. He asked me if I was looking for a place to stay. When he got off, I followed him thinking his place could be my next home. I was wrong. I had to pay P500 for the place. My budget for my daily food was suddenly washed out. A few days from then, I would start begging. It's what I wanted, anyway, but I could not disregard the great fear inside me.

That night, I spent a few minutes in the water. The sea was pitch black. The quiet darkness deafening. I could swim my way to death but I did not. Yes, I wanted to end my life. I could no longer endure the misery in my mind. But a kind of force was preventing me from doing it. A force was pulling me to go home.

Before I closed my eyes that night, I had made a decision. My experimental immersion had to end. I had to choose: life with hope, life without hope aka poverty, or death. In the morning, I decided to trash the idea of poverty. The ship for the nearby city was leaving at 8:00 AM. With a few cash left, I sailed home. But I was not giving up on death yet. I was still depressed. At the edge of the ship, I thought of jumping off. Until I felt a strong presence in my head or in my heart. I could not figure out. That strong presence was in tears, crying in grief about my hopelessness and His helplessness. My freewill was stronger than His. Was I experiencing auditory hallucinations?

I gazed my eyes into the open sea and sky. The green mountains were a beauty to behold from afar. The wind was refreshing. Was this life beautiful? It was. Life is. Suddenly, there was peace.

I chose to be alive again.

Hungry for truth, I desperately needed an answer. My religious upbringing taught me that being poor brings me closer to God, that poverty is a ticket to heaven. In my experience, heaven strongly disagreed with my religious knowledge. I can choose to be poor anytime I want it, and be miserable forever. I can choose life, on the other hand, with unfathomable hope. There's a threshold between poverty and misery. When you cross that boundary, poverty becomes ugly. Between misery and hope, you can choose hope. In such case, poverty desists to exist. Poverty is a state of mind. It's a choice.

Popular posts from this blog

I-Witness's "Minsan Sa Isang Taon" By Kara David

A beautiful documentary that subliminally projects an irony of life.

"Minsan Sa Isang Taon" (Once A Year), an I-Witness documentary (aired Oct 8, 2012, GMA Network) by Kara David may look like a simple documentary but it's not. It's depth has significant things to say.

"Minsan Sa Isang Taon" weaved paper bills (cash, money) to be the irony of abaca, also called Manila hemp. A year of hard work produced 20 kilos of abaca fibers. When sold, those fibers are worth 1000 pesos. Imagine earning 1000 pesos a year for a family of more than 5! Those cash bills that the hard-working man was holding were made of a few fibers of abaca compared to 20 kilos of fibers that he produced for a year. Quite an irony!

We perceive money as symbol of wealth; yet what it's made of is a symbol of indigence. What happens now to the truth that hard work is the key to success? Somewhere in between must be missing.

The abaca farmer is surrounded with gifts of nature - hills, tre…

What is rice wine in Tagalog?

Some words to enrich your English-Tagalog vocabulary. tapuy, Tagalog. rice wine, Englishtuba, Tagalog. sap from coconut flower made winelambanog, Tagalog. Philippine vodka, made from coconut

How To Block The Globe Broadband Malware From Your Browser

If Globe broadband may have hijacked your browser recently, and has been annoying you each time you open your browser, here's a way to stop this malicious malware from pestering your online quality time.
Reset Your Browser Resetting your browser means setting it to its original clean state. It's like having a just installed browser. For Chrome, you go to settings and click Advanced Settings. Down below you will find the Reset command. For Firefox, from the menu click the help icon (?), choose Troubleshooting Information, then click the Refresh Firefox button.
For other browsers, the reset function does the same thing. It simply varies with the terms used by the browser. What is this Globe BroadBandStatus2 Malware?  The malicious URL, which is broadbandstatus2 dot globe dot com dot ph slash fup (warning: do not visit the site), shows your broadband data usage for the month. If your usage is almost up to the maximum limit, it reminds you that your Internet speed connection will…